Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition 2018
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
This competition is open to anyone studying fashion design across all high schools and design schools in New Zealand and recent design school graduates (up to 2 years).
This competition is open to solo designers, as well as design partners and teams. Please ensure additional team members are listed on the registration form along with all content submitted.
THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE
All submissions are due Friday, 20th July 2018 at midnight. Any late or incomplete entries will not be accepted.
There is no fee to register or participate in the Ballantynes Emerging Design Competition.
All entrants are asked to submit one entry document which is to be saved as one digital file via the Ballantynes website.
The entry document will have two components:
1. a submission
2. a portfolio
Please use the following headings for your entry:
1a. Designer/s Curriculum Vitae:
1-page Curriculum Vitae that should include information about education and work history.
1b. Designer/s photo:
1 high res image of the designer/s.
1c. Designer/s Inspiration:
Design inspiration statement that should not exceed 250 words.
1d. Designer/s Marketing Plan:
1 page mini marketing plan that should include definition of your target market, your brand proposition and the price points of your collection.
2. Designer/s Portfolio:
The content included in the portfolio must include working drawings and/or images for a capsule collection of 3 completed looks that best represent the designer/s original work. Please consider the following when putting together your portfolio:
- 12 pages maximum
- No videos or links
- Include name, date of birth and contact details, current school or design school and the year of graduation (if you are a graduate).
- File size should be no larger than 5MB.
TERMS OF ENTRY
By entering, you represent and warrant that your entry consists of original works by you and/or your design team and that you have not copied or used other works to create your entry.
Six finalists will be selected on Friday,10 August. The criteria for selection are weighted as follows:
- 35% commercial viability
- 35% originality
- 20% marketing and branding proposition
- 10% people’s choice (the six finalists capsule will be displayed on Ballantynes’s website and via social media for public voting for one week from Friday, 17 August – with only 1 vote per unique user).
The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into by the judges or Ballantynes in relation to that decision. Individual scores will not be made available.
The six finalists will be invited to compete at the Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition in Christchurch on Friday, 28 September 2018 where they will each individually present their collection to the judging panel as part of the Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition runway show that evening.
A grand prize winner will be selected via the fashion panel of judges at their sole discretion (taking into account the 10% peoples vote) and be awarded as the Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition Winner 2018.
NOTIFICATION OF FINALISTS
The top six entries will be notified by phone and/or email. The Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition will make three attempts to contact finalists at the phone number or email address provided with their entry. If Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition is unable to reach a finalist designer via phone or email within two days, they will be disqualified and the entrant with the next highest ranking will be selected.
Finalists must commit to the following dates, in order to participate in the Competition:
- All finalists to be available from 10am, Friday, 28 September 2018 for model fittings, styling and catwalk rehearsal at Ballantynes Contemporary Lounge.
- All finalists to attend and participate in the Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition catwalk show on the evening of Friday, 28 September, 2018.
- All finalists will be responsible for their own expenses including travel and accommodation.
- All finalists are required to send the three complete looks (garments ready for the catwalk) to Ballantynes Contemporary Lounge by 5pm, Wednesday, 19 September, 2018. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
QUALIFICATION OF FINALISTS
To qualify as a Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition finalist and compete for the grand prize, each finalist must be able to present three complete looks on the runway at the Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition (Ballantynes Contemporary Lounge will provide footwear if required).
Each entrant's collection consists of original creations designed by the designer or design team as registered and uploaded to Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition.
Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition will provide three models, hair, makeup, dressers, backstage crews, and all runway production needs.
The grand prize winner must agree to be sold exclusively at Ballantynes Contemporary Lounge for two full seasons if requested.
GRAND WINNER PRIZE
One grand prize winner to be selected by the panel of Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition judges per the rules and regulations as outlined herein will receive a grand prize.
Total prize pool valued at over $28,000. The grand prize package is expected to include:
- Opportunity to launch their own fashion brand for the AW19 Season with Ballantynes Contemporary Lounge.
- The Fabric Store sponsored prize for materials, valued at $5,000.
- Remix Magazine sponsored coverage of the winner's debut collection with Contemporary Lounge, valued at $8,000 and includes a one on one mentoring session with Remix regarding the media and digital landscape.
- Inclusion in a Ballantynes photoshoot with renowned fashion photographer Dave Richards valued at $4,000. Includes: makeup, hair, production crew and model/s for the fashion photoshoot.
- 12-month one on one mentoring with the Contemporary Lounge Buyer to prepare the debut collection for launch.
- Double page spread in the Ballantynes AW19 Magazine to launch the brand and debut collection valued at $4,000.
- Visual merchandising design for the debut capsule collection in the Ballantynes Contemporary Lounge valued at $2,500.
- Digital marketing package with Ballantynes inhouse digital marketing team. Includes digital publication, homepage banners, social media content and features valued at $3,000.
- A full window display at Ballantynes Christchurch valued at $2.000.
- Entries open: Friday, 1 June 2018.
- Entries close: Friday, 20 July 2018.
- Finalists notified: Friday,10 August 2018.
- People choice voting begins on website: Friday 17 August 2018, and ends on Friday 24 August 2018.
- Finalists collections due at Ballantynes: Wednesday 19 September 2018.
- Finalists to attend model fittings, styling, rehearsal and runway show: Friday 28 September 2018.
- Winner of the Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition announced at the runway show on: Friday, 28 September 2018.
WHO ARE THE JUDGES?
This year’s Ballantynes Emerging Designer Competition judging panel are:
- Leading global designer, Karen Walker
- Rachel Easting and Anjali Burnett of Twenty-Seven Names
- Renowned fashion photographer, Dave Richards
- The official Ballantynes Fashion Week 2018 Magazine - Remix Magazine
- Ballantynes Head Buyer, Megan McKee.